Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reverend, I see the light!!!

Can I get an Alleluhah! (Alleluhah!) I said can I get an Alleluhah!! (Alleluhah)! Ladies and Gentlemen welcome, the one, the only Reverend...... Horton..... Heat!!!! (Amen!! *cheers*). Or at least that how the concert SHOULD have started, complete with Gospel Choir and all. I'm not completely sure how the Reverend finally took the stage in reality, the details tend to become a bit hazy when one has indulged in four scotches on the rockses, but I do remember there being a killer stand-up bass, with red-stained wood flame inlays, an impressive collection of 1930's chrome microphones and a man with a greaser hairdo in a silver zoot suit with embroidered blue flames on the Sleeves. I am only an amateur Reverend Horton Heat fan, especially compared to some of the hardcore fans, but the concert was quite enjoyable. There was plenty of Rock-A-Billy swing dancing and moshing to go around. Sometimes even Rock-A-Billy swing combined with moshing, which, I must admit, I have never seen before.

The REAL reason I went to the concert, was for the opening Band the Detroit Cobras (<----- go buy their CD! right now!...... Do it!). I am a huge fan of these underground 1950's pop-rock revivalists and, to my delight, there was plenty of room to Lindy-Hop on the dance floor. To my embarrassment, however, after playing "Right Around the Corner" The lead singer, Rachel Nagy, refrenced K and I and said "Great dancing back there you two, isn't it a lot more fun than standing around, making fun of the band?" and, after a short pause, "That guy's definately getting fucked tonight." I just don't know how to react when someone points me out and says something like this to a rather large audience, it's a very akward situation. Well anyway, the night went on, great fun was had by all, and Rachel Nagy's prophecy remained unfufilled. Although I did get a lot of "Wow, nice dancing!" throughout the evening, none of these compliments were followed by "Hey I have an idea! Why don't we go back to my place for some hot, anonymous, borderline-deviant sex?" Oh well, there's always next time I suppose.

No comments: